Wondering how to become an influencer and feeling overwhelmed by the amount of ‘expert advice’ out there?
Becoming an influencer might look like fun, but there is way more work involved than most people realise.
Understanding social media platforms is one thing, but if you want to really succeed as an influencer, you’re going to have to understand the core principles of marketing, sales, effective communication and more.
This list of books for influencers includes books by Instagram influencers, social media marketing consultants, entrepreneurs, business coaches and more.
You’ll find books about Instagram, creating a personal brand, going viral, monetising your social accounts, and much more.
Whether you’re a social media novice or a micro influencer looking to up their game and skyrocket their brand, there is something on this list for you.
Here are the best books for influencers on the market right now.
19 Books for Influencers to Skyrocket Your Growth in 2023
1. InstaStyle by Tessa Barton
Hands up if you want to have a solid personal brand, stunning photographs and an incredible grid!
Pretty much all of us, right?
In InstaStyle, Tessa teaches the fundamentals of growing your following, creating a personal brand and building a business through Instagram. You will successfully learn how to connect with others, share the way you see the world and tell compelling visual stories that will take your Instagram game to the next level.
As well as sharing her own teachings, Tessa has teamed up with some of the most successful influencers from different niches to teach you how to turn your passion into your brand, making it one of the best influencer books for budding Instagrammers out there.
2. Contagious: Why Things Catch On by Jonah Berger
Why do some products get more word of mouth than others? Why does some online content go viral while so much doesn’t?
Creating a message that people will spread is a sure-fire way of attracting an audience and becoming a successful influencer and in Contagious, Jonah Berger teaches how to do just that.
While it isn’t specifically a book for influencers, you will learn the fundamental principles of generating ideas and content that spreads.
If you’ve spent months trying and failing to create shareable content, this book is for you.
3. No Filter: The Inside Story Of Instagram by Sarah Frier
No Filter is a multi-award winning book that examines how Instagram has changed the way we live our lives.
Drawing on interviews with all the top dogs at Instagram, Frier details the rise of the most successful photo app in history, including the billion-dollar acquisition by Facebook, its founders’ dramatic clashes with Mark Zuckerberg and more.
It also explores how Instagram has changed society, affecting our desire for perfection online, encouraging businesses to prioritise their image above all else, and our overall relationship with technology.
It may not be a how-to guide for growing on Instagram, but if you’re interested in reading a book about Instagram as a platform and the impact that it’s had on society, No Filter is a must-read.
4. Influencer: Building Your Personal Brand in the Age of Social Media by Brittany Hennessy
In Influencer, Brittany Hennessy shares core influencer principles that will not only help you build an audience online, but also keep them engaged.
Learn how to package your brand, find the right companies to approach for sponsorships, figure out how much to charge and more in this practical, no-nonsense guide to the world of influencing.
5. Crushing It! by Gary Vaynerchuk
His personality may not be for everyone, but Gary Vee is the king of motivational speeches and inspiring words.
In Crushing It! Vaynerchuk stresses the importance of a personal brand, drawing on the experiences of dozens of influencers and entrepreneurs who rejected the corporate world in favour of building thriving businesses and extraordinary personal brands.
It teaches readers the importance of understanding social media platforms and and being willing to do whatever it takes to make these tools work to their utmost potential.
While this book is more about other people’s success stories rather than a step-by-step plan for success, it’s a great one if you’re looking to be inspired.
6. Instagram Power: Build Your Brand and Reach More Customers with Visual Influence by Jason Miles
Filled with proven strategies from leading Instagram experts, Instagram Power tackles topics including actionable monetisation methods you can use, how to integrate Instagram into your complete marketing approach and much more.
Written as an instructional text with step-by-step tasks and handy screenshots, this is the perfect book for beginners who want to learn how to master Instagram.
7. Influencer: The Power to Change Everything by Joseph Grenny, Kerry Patterson and David Maxfield
One of the best books for influencers is without a doubt Influencer: The Power to Change Everything.
While this book is not specific to social media, Influencer draws from the skills of hundreds of successful influencers and combines them with five decades of social-science research. They dive into verbal persuasion and communicative techniques that will get you selling products, growing your following and influencing the masses.
8. One Million Followers – How I Built a Massive Social Media Following in 30 Days by Brendan Kane
Brendan Kane has advised many huge brands and celebrities including Rihanna, Taylor Swift, MTV, Vice and IKEA, and in One Million Followers, he is sharing his secrets to social media success with you.
In this book, Kane shares his secrets on building leads, direct marketing, engagement with your audience and income growth.
9. Girl With No Job – The Crazy Beautiful Life of an Instagram Thirst Monster by Claudia Oshry
While this book is not a how-to guide for becoming an influencer, Girl With No Job is one of the best books written by influencers out there.
Claudia Oshry details her journey as an Instagrammer, as well as examining the nature of social media celebrity, the many sides of fandom, and cancel culture.
This light read has a funny and down to earth tone that will have you laughing, crying and wanting to be Claudia’s BFF.
10. Instagram Stories: The Secret ATM in Your Pocket by Jason Heiber
Although this book was originally created to teach people how to master Instagram stories, the tips in here can also be applied to Reels, TikToks and whatever comes next in the world of social media video content!
Instagram Stories is super in-depth as the entire book focuses on this 1 element of Instagram, including the psychology behind story engagement, how to make money with Instagram stories, actionable steps to scale up your engagement and just about everything else you can think of.
11. Superfans by Pat Flynn
Followers may ‘like’ an Instagram post.
Customers may buy a product.
But ‘Superfans’ will be your biggest supporters.
They will promote you and your products because they know you have made a difference in their lives. They will tell their friends. They will send you encouraging emails.
You get the gist.
In Superfans, you will learn how to build a community of your own superfans, a community who love, trust, and will buy from you.
12. Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon
In Steal Like an Artist, Austin Kleon alleges that no piece of art is original.
He says that what makes a good artist great is their ability to derive inspiration from other artists, while adding their own personal touch to their work, and that the pressure to create something totally original often stifles creativity.
This short and simple read teaches you how to hone your craft by learning from the best, adapt a style to make it your own and unleash your creative spirit.
13. Building a StoryBrand by Donald Miller
Although it might at first seem as though Building a StoryBrand is targeted towards big businesses, the principles of branding and marketing are infinitely valuable if you want to become an influencer.
From the way you talk about yourself to the way you connect with your audience, the lessons in this book will teach you to help your followers see the value in you and the products you promote/sell (ideal if you want to work with brands!).
Building a StoryBrand does this by revealing the 7 universal story points that all humans respond to, the real reason customers make purchases, how to simplify a brand message so people understand it, and how to create the most effective online messaging.
14. How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
How to Win Friends and Influence People is all about improving your communication skills in order to get the most out of every interaction.
Not only can you apply these teachings to your audience, but also brands, PR agencies, other influencers and more.
Some of the things that this book will teach you how to do include:
- Make friends quickly and easily
- Increase your popularity
- Persuade people to follow your way of thinking
- Enable you to win new clients and customers
- Become a better speaker
- Boost enthusiasm among your colleagues
15. Capture Your Style: Transform Your Instagram Images, Showcase Your Life, and Build the Ultimate Platform by Aimee Song
Capture Your Style delves into the nitty gritty of taking really bloody good Instagram pictures.
In this guide to creating the ultimate Instagram feed, Song breaks down the technical and editorial essentials that you will need to grow a successful Instagram account, with sections on location, lighting, flat lays, outfit posts, food photography and so much more.
Capture Your Style includes the best apps and filters for processing photos, tips on improving your voice and information for propping and styling food and fashion photos.
16. Hashtag Authentic by Sara Tasker
In Hashtag Authentic, social media guru Sara Tasker teaches you to turn your personal Instagram account into a profitable business that thrives.
This is one of those books by Instagram influencers, for influencers, and you’ll find it easy to relate to Sara’s story and friendly tone.
Including snippets of Sara’s own background combined with plenty of tasks and tips, Hashtag Authentic is an inspirational influencer book that will certainly get your creative juices flowing, and despite being geared towards Instagram, the concepts of storytelling, personal branding and photography are universal.
17. Influencer Fast Track: From Zero to Influencer in the Next 6 Months! by Gundi Gabrielle
Gundi’s 7-Step programme in Influencer Fast Track promises to get you from zero to influencer in just a few months.
Not only does she discuss the core elements of becoming an influencer and marketing, but she also provides insight onto getting featured in major publications, attracting your dream clients, building passive income and how to pitch without pitching.
18. Social Media Marketing Algorithms: Constant Passive Income Online Over Time Through YouTube, TIKTOK, Instagram and Twitch Account by Mark Dallas
Social Media Marketing Algorithms focuses on teaching expert-approved social media marketing strategies, how to invest in social media without taking risks, and learning how to plan your social media content smartly to revolutionise your business.
When it comes to strategising and treating your socials like a business, Dallas’ book is one of the best books for social media influencers there is.
19. TikTok Marketing with TikTok SEO and Algorithm by InvestingWizard Press
Not being on TikTok is a huge mistake, and TikTok Marketing is a one stop shop for all of your TikTok needs.
This straight-to-the-point book is full of proven strategies aiming to help you rapidly grow your TikTok account, build your personal brand, expand your business, and make fruitful marketing efforts.
Some things that you will learn include:
- Understand TikTok better to level up your TikTok game
- Find your own profitable TikTok niche
- How to optimise your TikTok profile
- How to use TikTok’s algorithm and metrics to succeed
- How to use TikTok SEO to make your content go viral
- How to monetise your TikTok account
- …and much more
Summary – Best Books for Influencers
- Instastyle – growing a personal brand on Instagram
- Contagious – learn which type of content will go viral
- No Filter – a deep dive into the history and societal effects of Instagram
- Influencer: Building Your Personal Brand in the Age of Social Media – curating a personal brand and growing an engaged audience
- Crushing It! – a motivational book looking at examples of successful people
- Instagram Power – how to become successful on Instagram
- Influencer: The Power to Change Everything – verbal persuasion and communication techniques to influence others
- One Million Followers – expert tips on how to build an audience online
- Girl With No Job – amusing influencer memoir
- Instagram Stories: The Secret ATM in Your Pocket – everything you need to know about Instagram stories
- Superfans – how to create a community of superfans
- Steal Like an Artist – hone your craft by learning from your competitors
- Building a StoryBrand – connecting with your audience
- How to Win Friends and Influence People – improve your communication skills
- Capture Your Style – take fantastic Instagram photos
- Hashtag Authentic – tips from an influencer on growing your Instagram
- Influencer Fast Track – 7-step programme designed to turn you into an influencer
- Social Media Marketing Algorithms – expert-approved social media marketing strategies
- TikTok Marketing – a one stop shop for everything TikTok
Best Books for Influencers | Final Thoughts
There are hundreds of books out there that promise to turn you into an influencer overnight.
Many of the books about specific social media platforms (such as Instagram) quickly become out of date, so it is important to make sure that the one you choose discusses core concepts and provides advice that will stand the test of time (like the ones on this list!).
While some of them are not related to social media directly, they all teach valuable lessons that can be applied to your life, both online and off.
Which one will you be reading first?
- What’s the Difference Between Affiliate Marketing and Network Marketing?
- How to Achieve Your Most Ambitious Goals
- How to Become a Micro Influencer in 5 Easy Steps
- 25 Eye-opening Advantages and Disadvantages of Blogging
- Top Tips for Choosing the Perfect Lifestyle Blog Name