With more than 60 million users and 200 million items for sale, Poshmark combines the convenience and financial benefits of traditional e-commerce with the fun, community feel of social media.
By doing this, Poshmark has paved the way for a new generation of e-commerce – social commerce, which continues to soar in popularity among young women.
With side hustles and the ability to work from home becoming ever more popular, it’s no surprise that more people are signing up to Poshmark and putting their old clothes up for sale.
However, it isn’t always so easy.
Sometimes, your Poshmark items just don’t sell as quickly as you would like them to, so if you’re wondering how to increase sales on Poshmark, or even how to make sales on Poshmark period, you’re in the right place!
Here are 21 simple but effective to increase Poshmark sales and turn your side hustle into your main hustle before you know it!
21 Easy Ways to Increase Sales on Poshmark
1. Treat it as a long term business venture
If you want to make a bit of extra cash with Poshmark and aren’t too fussed about the big bucks, by all means treat it like a hobby.
However, if you’re really wondering how to boost sales on Poshmark, the answer is simple – you have got to treat it as a full-time job or new business venture.
Millions of sellers are using the platform, so you need to make your store stand out from the masses.
Train yourself to be disciplined and dedicate specific blocks of time to focus on growing your boutique.
This means not only doing every single thing listed below, but doing it consistently.
You should also outline clear goals of what you want to achieve, track your financials and
Showing up is half the work if you’re trying to grow an online business, and if you are disciplined and consistent, you’re off to a great start.
2. Choose your closet name wisely
Choosing your closet name wisely is super important because if you end up really successful, your closet name will be your brand.
Try and think of something short, sweet and easy to remember, and don’t choose a similar name to a famous brand.
If you already have a closet name but you feel that it doesn’t represent your brand, it isn’t too late to change it. It won’t ruin your SEO or lose you any customers.
Simply go to your Account Settings → Account Info → Change Username.
3. Straightforward product titles
Your ultimate goal when listing a product is to sell that product.
The product title is one of the first things your potential customer will see, so make sure to catch their attention with an interesting but straightforward title that clearly describes whatever you are selling.
Be straight to the point and clearly state what you are selling, without unnecessary frills. Try and add a keyword (‘black bodycon skirt,’ for example) so that your listing shows up in people’s search results.
We will learn more about choosing keywords later!
4. Price your items competitively
The price you set for your products is incredibly important.
Consumers want value for money, but they also want to feel as though they are buying something that is worth something.
Set your price too high and people will consider it too expensive, but set it too low and people will see your products as low value and be turned off.
Research how much sellers are charging for similar products, and charge a little less than this amount. You should also be open to accepting offers.
5. Take great pictures
Images sell, period.
Of all the ways to increase sales on Poshmark, nothing will work if you have crappy pictures advertising your products.
Bad lighting, chaotic backgrounds and low quality images are just not going to cut it on Poshmark, and you need to ensure that the pictures you post are up to scratch.
Have a look at product images that your competitors are using and aim to do better.
Here are a few general Poshmark photo tips:
- Use an appropriate background – your background should be as plain as possible. Clutter is a no-no. Plain walls, fabric or poster board are great to use, and props should be simple and designed to show off the products
- Use multiple light sources (natural light is a plus) and make sure that your pictures are well-lit and not full of shadow
- Steam or iron clothes – they must be crisp and perfect
- You might want to consider using a mannequin for a 3D effect
- Do not use filters on your photographs. The colours should be as accurate as possible.
6. Write descriptions that sell
You’ve caught the attention of your buyer with your quality image and product title, so now you want to give them the final push and close the sale.
The way to do this is by writing a great product description.
Here are some ways to write a product description that sells:
- Use the 5 W’s and How method – No, we’re not talking about the 5 Whys. When you sit down to write your product description, consider Who your target audience is, What exactly your product is, Where it can be used, When they can be used, Why it is better than similar products on the market, and How the product works.
- Clearly state the value of your product and add any and all information that will help the buyer make their decision.
- Give detailed measurements – What may be a size 10 in one store may be a size 14 in another! Sizes differ from brand to brand, and nobody wants to buy clothes online without being confident that what they’re buying will fit. This is why you need to be sure to include the exact measurements in the product description People will be much more likely to buy your product if you include detailed measurements.
- Be honest. If there is a small hole or broken button on your item, be transparent about it. Take a picture of the defect and describe it accurately and in detail.
- Try using a template. By spending time writing a template for your product descriptions, you ensure that your tone is consistent and save yourself a tonne of time. Just make a few tweaks regarding the specifics of the item and you’re done!
7. Include keywords
A keyword is simply the phrase that people type into the search bar to find the product they want.
If you want your product to show up on the very first page of results, you need to include relevant keywords.
Keywords include the material, style and colour of the product.
For example, a ‘blue knitted cardigan‘ would be a great keyword because it is so specific.
You can include some keywords in the product title, and then include more in the description of the product.
The more specific you are, the higher you will rank and the more likely you will be to make sales.
8. Research top selling categories and markets
Still unclear about how to get more sales on Poshmark?
You need to think about your audience.
Giving the people what they want is key to understanding how to increase sales on Poshmark.
For example, Lululemon athletic wear is super popular on Poshmark, so if you have a large range of Lululemon products on your store, you will make more sales.
If your items are super niche, you may struggle to sell large amounts because the demand is simply not there.
You can also diversify the products that you sell, targeting different demographics and widening your net, so to speak.
For example, if you sell women’s clothes, you may wish to start selling shoes and jewellery as well.
The only thing to be careful of when experimenting with different niches and categories is that you need to keep your brand consistent. Don’t just sell anything and everything. Make sure that when people come to your store, they know exactly what they’re getting.
9. Show the face behind the brand
Customising your closet and profile is a sure fire way to get more sales on Poshmark.
Adding your picture to your store creates a personal connection between you and the customer, and that personal connection can be the difference between them buying from you verses another store.
Creating a ‘Meet Your Posher’ listing is another of building a relationship with your potential customers. This provides a communication channel between you and the customer, as well as giving you a space to tell your story and share who you are with shoppers.
10. Be selective
It can be tempting to put your entire closet up for sale on Poshmark as a way of increasing your sales.
However, having a cluttered store will actually do the opposite of making you more money.
People come to Poshmark to see carefully curated collections of items that they are actually interested in – they don’t come to rifle through the trash in the hopes of finding a hidden gem.
If you are picky about what you sell in your store, you are sure to increase Poshmark sales.
11. Offer a bundle discount
Offering discounts on bundled products is a great way to increase your sales on Poshmark.
These discounts don’t have to be huge – if you can provide value for money and bundle together products that your customer is likely to be interested in, a 10 to 20% discount is enough.
Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Account Settings –> My Seller Tools –> My Seller Discounts
- Turn on the Bundle Discount option
- Select how many products you want to make a bundle with
- Give the % that your discount will be
- Save the settings
- Congratulations! Your bundle discount is now active
12. Send offers to likers
Just like Facebook and Instagram, shoppers can ‘like’ your products.
When they do this, you have the option to offer them exclusive discounts on that particular product (called ‘Offer to Likers’) which can be a great sales strategy.
Potential offers could include a shipping discount (the standard rate is $6.99 for orders under $25), or a 15% discount on certain days.
By only offering these discounts to people who are ‘liking’ your products, you are encouraging people to ‘like’ your items, which could increase your followers, and in turn, your sales.
13. Frequently re-list items
The idea of deleting a Poshmark listing (and all the likes that it received), just to re-list it again may sound counterproductive, but this is actually a great way to increase sales on Poshmark!
Just like on social media, most people on Poshmark will see your recent listings, but those older ones will turn stagnant and not receive much traction.
Re-listing a product means that it will appear at the top of the ‘Just In’ section, making it seem as though you are listing more products than you actually are (sneaky!) and you will show up on people’s news feeds.
14. Share your items with your followers
Top Poshmark sellers understand the importance of staying active and having a presence on the platform.
Sharing your Poshmark closet with your followers allows them to keep up to date with your new products and any offers you may have on your store, increasing your opportunity to make a sale.
15. Be super responsive
The phrase ‘time is of the essence’ could have been made for Poshmark.
If a customer is ready to buy an item but has a couple of questions that they need answering before they complete the purchase, you have to be there to respond to them.
Answering questions promptly is essential if you want to increase sales on Poshmark, because many buyers will send the same questions to a number of sellers and buy from whoever responds first.
If you want to go the extra mile, you could even let your customer know when you have shipped the item and thank them for their order – this small effort can result in building a base of repeat customers who come back time and time again to your store.
Some Poshmark tips for being an active user:
- Turn on the notification option because every single notification is an opportunity to make a sale, and you never want to miss an opportunity like that!
- Answer questions fully and in detail
- If somebody starts following you, follow them back to show them that you are active on the platform
- If somebody likes one of your product listings, immediately send them an offer to turn that like into a sale
16. Share your friends’ listings
Build relationships with other Poshmark sellers and share their closets with your followers.
They will usually return the favour, putting your products in front of another audience and increasing your exposure. In Poshmark you can make friends and share their closets also.
The same goes for engaging with their content – don’t be afraid to like and comment on people’s products to give them a boost!
17. Join Poshmark Parties
‘Poshmark Parties’ provide you with the chance to share your products to a large audience and garner more sales.
They’re also a great way of getting to know other sellers and buyers, building a rapport for potential sales or collaborations in the future.
18. Join a share group
To find a share group on Poshmark, go to the search bar and type ‘share group’ into it.
Poshmark will suggest a number of groups that you can enter, and share your closets and new products with the people in that group.
Just be sure to read the group requirements before you share anything, as they sometimes have conditions for sharing products.
You can also create your own share group and invite others to join!
19. Join a Facebook group for sellers
These days, there is a Facebook community for everything, and hundreds of Poshmark sellers just like you are using these groups to discuss sales strategies with other savvy sellers.
These groups are the place to ask questions, give advice to other people, and brainstorm ways of boosting sales, creating the best bundle discounts and more.
As with the point above, be sure to read the rules before joining a group, as most groups have strict rules about self-promotion and sharing your own closet in the group.
Constantly engaging, being available and re-listing products can be time consuming, so if you find yourself feeling overstretched, hire a virtual assistant!
The benefits of hiring a virtual assistant are endless, and paying someone for 2 to 3 hours each week can really help you scale your Poshmark business.
21.Become a Poshmark Ambassador
Another way to ramp up your Poshmark sales is to become a Poshmark Ambassador.
Becoming a Poshmark Ambassador gives you tonnes of advantages over your competitors by being one of the recommended closets to follow on the Find User page.
You will also be able to co-host in-app Posh Parties, and receive access to special promotions and events.
In order to become a Poshmark Ambassador, you must meet the following criteria:
- Have 5000 community shares
- Have 5000 self shares
- Have at least 50 available listings in your closet
- Have at least 15 listings sold
- Have an average purchase rating of at least 4.5
- Ship your items in 3 days or less
- Have one love note from another posher
How to Increase Sales on Poshmark | Final Thoughts
Every seller wants to increase sales on Poshmark, but only a few people are determined enough to actually make it work.
Selling on Poshmark is not a get rich quick scheme, and it takes hard work and time commitment to see results, but if you follow all of these Poshmark tips, you will be well on your way to running a successful Poshmark business.
I hope this post has been helpful!
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below!
- Poshmark vs. Mercari – Which is Best?
- 11 Secrets to Selling on Poshmark – Poshmark for Beginners
- 26 Best Digital Products to Sell on Etsy
Leave a Reply